Site Visit - Southcentral Foundation

Hello attendees of the Southcentral Foundation site visit on 9/13! We would love for you to share key takeaways, learnings, and next steps from the site visit with the rest of the PHLN network! We ask that at least one member of your team that attended the site visit post here. All PHLN teams, feel free to comment and ask questions!

Please answer one or more of these questions:

1. What is one of the most valuable takeaways you had from the site visit?

2. What resource did you find useful? If you have a copy of it, please attach.

3. What is a next step your team is planning to take as a result of what you learned at the site visit?

4. Anything else you want to share?

Here’s a picture of our group from the visit!

1 Like

We had a question about how Southcentral Foundation uses QI processes at their organization, from a PHLN member from NEMS who wasn’t able to attend the visit.

Here’s what I have for resources about this topic:
SCF Overview: The overview includes information about changes they made to their organizational and committee structure, their corporate strategic plan and how its linked across the organization, and improvements they’ve made along the way.

Integrated Care: The last 10 slides include information about how they know that they’ve made improvements based on the changes they’ve made.

Dr. Carolyn Shepherd @Carolyn_CCI_Coach SCF intentional-whole-health-system-redesign-Kings-Fund-November-2015.pdf (1.8 MB)
also sent over this article on their care design process.

Did anyone else on the visit learn anything they want to share about SCF’s QI processes?

@diana_cci @jsinai @evanp @aileenb @melissa.bishop @acontreras

Integrated Care Teams SCF.pdf (6.5 MB)

SCF Overview.pdf (7.9 MB)

Here were some of my top insights from the site visit to Southcentral Foundation:

1. SCF was intentional about how they developed their organizational goals and mission (and made them easy for staff to remember!), and use them in their decision making processes.

2. Alaska Natives are in charge of and changing their healthcare at SCF, and this impacts everything SCF does, from gathering feedback, making changes, and running their organization.

3. SCF has a deep commitment to workforce development & to their community. They also a robust entry level, admin training program (8 weeks paid, guaranteed placement at SCF if you make it through!)

4. They often hire clinic management from outside of health care i.e. the food service industry. They had a lot to say about what the healthcare system can teach vs the other way around.

5. Data & IT need to be separate entities, and you have to make the case for expanding and building out your data team to do population health management well. We featured Mike Hirst in a series of short videos back from our SNAP program, view these videos to get some quick inspiration about how to transform your data department.

1. They have firsthand experience to share about the importance of data visualization in closing care gaps, especially during the transition to a new EHR.

See my slides attached for some pictures from the visit and also some more details about my insights. @diana_cci is currently writing up her insights from the visit as well, so stay tuned! And please share any questions or thoughts about my reflections: if you attended the site visit, what else stuck out to you that Diana should include in her CCI Perspective’s Piece?

PHLN SCF Key Takeaways-compressed.pdf (1.4 MB)

1 Like

Thank you for the opportunity to join the Site Visit to Southcentral Foundation. I’ve attached notes from the day of learning. I agree, my insights align with the categories outlined by Megan above. I’d add that intention in the development of physical space supports patient experience, staff workflow, and general morale.

SCF Site Visit Notes CCHC.pdf (386.6 KB)

1 Like

Three elements of QI stood out to me-

1. QI is integrated into every facet of the organization. For example, New Employee Orientation includes PDSA process because it’s an expectation that all employees are looking for opportunities for QI and that employees need tools to be effective. Additionally, QI is included in supervisor performance evaluations.
  2. Infrastructure is built to improve quality care and promote the business product (relationship between the healthcare system and customer-owners). An example of this is the expansive committee structure (picture attached), and the expectation that changes in process are vetted by each committee.

1. Strategic planning and communication are linked to drive quality. For example, the picture attached highlights how the Corporate Strategic Plan, Annual Plans, Committee Infrastructure, Budget, reporting and employee evaluations are all connected, driving towards the same quality indicators.
2 Likes

Great thoughts, @evanp. Thanks for sharing those diagrams, too.

Those of you that attended the site visit were given temporary access to the slides, but now everyone can access those on the PHLN Portal. All the slides are now posted here and include slides about data services, facility design, relationship-based HR, intro to behavioral health services, care teams and more: PHLN Site Visits 2018 - Center for Care Innovations

Here’s a link to the organizational chart from Southcentral Foundation, I know folks from the site visit were hoping to get a copy of this:

@diana_cci @jsinai @evanp @aileenb @melissa.bishop @acontreras

Thank you for sharing @megan_cci!

I also wrote a Perspective piece on the Southcentral Foundation site visit, for those that want a refresher or that weren’t able to attend! Here’s an outline of my key takeaways:

1. Customer-owners know best.
  2. Shift from patient-centered care to relationship-centered care.
  3. Invest in the local community.
  4. Carve out time to learn.

@jsinai @evanp @aileenb @melissa.bishop @acontreras @megan_cci Please share if you have things to add :grinning: