Site Visit - Petaluma Health Center

Hello attendees of the Petaluma Health Center site visit on 9/26! We would love for you to share key takeaways, learnings, and next steps from the site visit with the rest of the PHLN network! We ask that at least one member of your team that attended the site visit post here. All PHLN teams, feel free to comment and ask questions!

Please answer one or more of these questions:

1. What is one of the most valuable takeaways you had from the site visit?

2. What resource did you find useful? If you have a copy of it, please attach.

3. What is a next step your team is planning to take as a result of what you learned at the site visit?

4. Anything else you want to share?

Hey folks! Resources from the Petaluma site visit are now on the PHLN Portal.

@michael_cci @clalvarez @glopez @charleneh @gheredia @rtanglao @nataliao @marilynh_WSMC @kstambaugh

2 Likes

Here are additional URLs for products/services that were discussed last week…

https://cepc.ucsf.edu/what-are-building-blocks

https://www.vocera.com/

http://relevant.healthcare/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3KzdBRDWARIsAIJ8TMQfniCcgbCd-xcpprDlXm_o_q94ZRyKuAe0bh4bnAs8VRSQOa8nYK8aArT7EALw_wcB#differences

2 Likes

I shared my take aways from the site visit on the CCI site:

https://www.careinnovations.org/resources/5-takeaways-from-petaluma-health-center/

Key idea: the facility and technology are amazing, but their secret is their empowerment culture which enables each staff person to be a powerful leader and innovator for their patient’s health.

I loved the culture at Petaluma! They have a great balance of innovation and structure, which allows them to move from ideation to action and implementation in a way that makes me a little jealous :slight_smile: . They are also really good at including all staff – some examples are Huddle TV (literally a huddle that includes the whole organization) and their highly transparent and easy to use data system (staff can actually see the code that goes into queries).

I took detailed notes on areas I found most useful – I’ll attach them here. .Petaluma Health Center Site Visit - Notes.docx (20.2 KB)

• Care team composition & roles of each team member
  • Services for high-risk patients: care navigation, nurse case management, risk stratification, social determinants of health, etc
  • Dental integration

I’m wishing I asked more about behavioral health integration … did anyone else get details on that?

2 Likes

My key take away from the Petaluma site visit was the process they used in implementing change, culture and leadership to get to the point where they are at today -very impressive leadership and culture!
The most useful resources I gained from the staff at Petaluma were the Catalyst trainings (CCI) and the Building Blocks (via UCSF Center) which helped me to have my “road-map”.
Our leadership team are presently developing strategies to implement Open Access and to improve our data management/gathering process.
I want to extend a very sincere thank you to all involved; CCI, Petaluma and other participants. This brain-storming of ideas helps one to see outside of the box!

1 Like

Hi Katherine, @kstambaugh
I didn’t get many notes on their behavioral health integration, unfortunately. What I wrote down was that their Behavioral Health Intern (or provider), who sits on each team, have a mix of scheduled appointments and warm handoffs. And they use some tele-psychiatry. I can email the Petaluma team. Do you have specific questions I can ask?

For now, and for anyone else interested in info about behavioral health, this topic was touched on at the Southcentral Foundation site visit and Cherokee Health Systems site visit. Check out the presentation from Southcentral Foundation site visit and the presentation from Cherokee Health Systems (CHS) site visit. CHS has also shared some job descriptions, including Behavioral Health Consultant and Director of Psychiatric Services.

Hi all,

Sorry for contributing so late in the game but here are my answers:

1. What is one of the most valuable takeaways you had from the site visit?
    Prior to coming to the site visit, I really thought that our organization had to actually grow and expand a separate Population Health department, but after attending the site visit, I learned and realized that this was no longer the case as the Petaluma Health Center showed that they implemented Population Health as a whole into the daily culture of all of the staff at the health center. Collectively the entire organization took on this responsibility and worked together to address this. I think this is much more effective and keeps staff and providers accountable.
  2. What resource did you find useful? If you have a copy of it, please attach.
    Hearing from all of the different departments and then doing the actual site walk through was greatly appreciated. I have read and reread and presents the powerpoints to my upper management since the visit.
  3. What is a next step your team is planning to take as a result of what you learned at the site visit?
    At this time, we have presented to upper management and made suggestions on process improvement strategies here. We are waiting to hear back from upper management.
  4. Anything else you want to share?
    The visit was absolutely wonderful and very informative. One additional thing I would have loved to do it be able to shadow and or spend some one on one time with an employee of choice to ask more questions (for example sit with the flow coordinator while he or she does their actual job for 1-2 hours)

Hi!
I didn’t attend this site visit but have enjoyed reading the comments.
Can anyone elaborate on how they accomplished the morning Huddle TV? What time do employees arrive at work? When was the broadcast and how long did it last? What time does patient care start? Can employees watch from outside of the office/is it recorded?
Also, the link no longer works. Would it be possible to get a new link?

1 Like

Belatedly, here’s the updated link for Huddle TV episodes! PHC-Broadcast @melissa.bishop

1 Like