Outeach to members non users

We have lots of experience with outreach for HEDIS gaps, however we focus on all patients, rather than only managed care. I was wondering if anyone has experience reaching out to members non users.
What is your approach; high risk, certain populations where there is more access (for us it is pediatrics), high ED utilizers? And what methods have worked?
Thanks
Debbie

1 Like

Hi @debrarosen ,
We focus on all patients as well but do some targeted outreach based on the clinic site’s access to care and the patient’s risk category. So, we try to schedule care for patients whom the health plan identifies as having diabetes, hypertension, or other chronic conditions. Another “risk” category we target is patients from 0-6 years. Our few clinic sites with appointment capacity reach out to all patients not yet seen. The address/phone contact information is often incorrect for these patients.
Let me know if you have other questions about this, Linda

1 Like

Hi @debrarosen ,
It is also very difficult for NEMS to track the universal outreach needs and gap lists from different managed care plans. What our EHR folks are trying to do is to match and find overlaps by importing it all into one database, and then spitting out the information in a concise way for our staff to consolidate outreach attempts. We want to avoid duplications and confusion amongst multiple calls from different staffs (i.e. lab, medical assistant, referral clerks). We tried to outreach to shadow patients who haven’t been at the clinic for > 13 months to get those members engaged and familiar with the clinic again. For the harder to reach patients (outdated phone numbers and addresses), we tried to combine households and contact them at different times of days and have staff take down their newest contact preferences. Because we had more access with our Pediatrics schedule, we had tried to target outreach to 3,000 unengaged Pedi patients, but the success rate was so low that we stopped this. In terms of risk stratifications, we’re also still working on this - so any insights would be helpful!

1 Like

Hi @nancy.yu ,
Thank you for your reply. We have similar challenges. In terms of outreaching for gaps in care, we reach out to all patients regardless of the health coverage or plan.
I have not heard the term shadow patients - is your definition patients who have not been in for more than 13 months. Love to hear your outreach process and success. Good ideas for the hardest to reach patients. And we also have more access for peds, we do plan on sending text messages and will be documenting results. We are using the Counting Chronic Conditions risk stratification tool, which helps us identify high risk patients (adults and peds) who have been seen at NEVHC. For those who have never been seen, this will be challenging to stratify as we only have capacity to outreach to our highest risk adults.
Thanks
Debbie

1 Like