Key roles for a data-driven organization

A lot of questions came out of the convening and follow up office hours with Boris about how to build a data services department and who belongs on that team.

This short video gives a good overview of the key roles that exist in a data-driven organization and this video describes staffing your data services department.

Who on your team is managing data? If you have a data services department, what roles make up that department and are you trying to add any new ones? What challenges are you facing?

1 Like

@jaromo I know this has been a question that you’ve been diving into. Do you want to share more about what you’ve been learning or are currently doing at Community Medical Centers?

I’m tagging some fellow Southcentral site visit attendees, since we covered the data roles with Mike Hirst during our site visit.
@jsinai @evanp @aileenb @melissa.bishop @acontreras @megan_cci What were your takeaways and have you tried implementing any changes to your data teams since the site visit?

@diana_cci and @jaromo Here are my notes on data staffing and data management from SCF site visit. I’m happy to discuss.
a. Data team perceives role as “we work for them” – meaning staff and ultimately customer owners, a support service.
b. Data Staffing:
i. Data is a service department, designed to best support staff by integrating data expertise into existing teams and committee structure. Recommendation is to have data be a part of the process, to share information, connect tools and see data as a service.
ii. ** Do not have provider as the driver. It’s expensive and provider can be included in the process for input, it’s cheaper to have increased data support integrated.
iii. Workforce Progression: Intentional staff investment and development through a visible process. There is a list of concrete criteria, and each employee is ranked on a scale of 1-5 (1= little or no experience, 5 = expert, can teach). The ranking is communicated, goals set, and training takes place so the staff person can progress. The scale is used as rationale for promotion and pay rate and pay raises.
c. Data Support Roles
i. Data Analyst: Builds reports (takes translation from Program Analyst)
ii. Program Analyst: 15-20 years of experience, content expertise, is the point of contact for the department.
iii. Data Steward: Usually the Director of the Department, controls resources and therefore can make decisions about data priorities. Data team gives the Data Steward a weekly report on progress.
d. DIRT Tool: Data Information Request Tool
i. Data Stewards for each department prioritize data request using an online platform. Anybody can submit a request, and it is sent first to the Data Steward to approve and prioritizes. Data team works on top three priorities 80% of the time, and ad hoc report 20% of the time.
ii. DIRT online is organized into categories: Ad hoc, organization measure, grant support measure, regulatory.